Chapter Forty Five
September 21, 1939
Mr. L. E. Powers of Rutherfordton had the contract to make the window sash for the Florence Mill. G. K. Moore, C. A. Wilkie and myself put the glass in these sash for Mr. Powers. We would work on the mill all day and then glaze sash at night until ten or eleven o’clock.
In the summer of 1897, before the machinery was put in the milll, there came a hail storm and it broke almost one-fourth of the glass in the Florence Mill windows. A small portion of the mill was put in operation sometime during the latter part of 1897 or during the first part of 1898. Mr. George F. Ivey was the first superintendent of the mill. He only stayed one year. He is a brother of J. B. Ivey of Charlotte and now resides in Hickory, N. C.
G. K. Moore was the first master mechanic, and was an excellent man to work for. He was master mechanic at the mill about two years, then he went to Rutherfordton and was master mechanic at the Levi Mill for a few years. Then later on when Mr. R. R. Haynes decided to build the Cliffside mill he took Mr. Moore to Cliffside and put him in charge of the erection of that plant. When this mill was put in operation he was made master mechanic and also had oversight of all outside work on the mill village. Mr. Moore was connected with the operation of this mill in some way as long as he lived. He was killed a few years ago in an automobile wreck between Caroleen and Forest City.
Mr. Moore married Miss Maggie Dean, of Forest City. His father was Franklin Moore and his mother was a Bostic before her marriage. Mr. Moore was a very useful citizen and had a large following of friends. His widow is still living and resides at Cliffside.