Map of High Shoals Township
In 1927 R. E. Carpenter, engineer for Cliffside Mills and a skilled map maker, created a map of Rutherford County. The map is huge, about as big as the top of a good sized dining table. The copy we have, loaned by Dan Marsh, Jr., is brittle and fragile and we were afraid to unfold it for complete scanning. Fortunately we were able to capture its lower corner, which contains the entire High Shoals Township, which encompasses Caroleen, Avondale, Henrietta and Cliffside, as well as large areas of farmland and forests.
The road system and place names were a lot different then. Roads back then had totally different numbers than those of today. Our highway 221A was called #207. In 1927 the community known today as Six Points was, at least on this map, named “Padgett’s Cross Roads.” The map shows schools, churches, stores, dwellings and even identifies the home sites of some individuals. It gives one a good perspective of the Broad River system in our township.