Twin Reporters, Aug. 5, 1937
From The Courier, Aug 5, 1937
Cliffside, Aug. 2. — Hello friends. After a long absence the Twin Reporters are back on the job. One person asked why we had gotten so lazy that we wouldn’t write any more news. For one thing, we took a week’s vacation and then it took us a week to get over the vacation.
Hollywood doesn’t seem so far off now as it used to. Many had their pictures taken last week when Mr. Herbert Waters, Lexington, visited in and around the town of Cliffside and made pictures to be shown at the theatre. Who knows but what some of them will be offered movie contracts?
Rev. and Mrs. H. E. Stimpson [Stimson] and family are leaving Friday for a vacation to Myrtle Beach.
Miss Sara Shuford has returned home from a week’s visit to relatives in Lenoir.
Mrs. Ishel Parris is getting along nicely after an operation in Mary Black Hospital, Spartanburg.
Possibly the biggest event and the enjoyable affair of mid-summer was the Cliffside Alumni banquet which was held in the Haynes Memorial building, July 24. Over two hundred were present. Mr. Kenneth McMahan was elected president; Mr. Gerard Davidson, vice president and Mrs. Marvin Sparks, secretary.
Friends of Dr. G. O. Moss are glad of his return home after several week’s vacation.
Messrs. Max Pruette and Andy Lowe [Love] continue their interesting game of tennis every evening.
Kenneth Richetts [Ricketts], of Dysartsville is spending several weeks with “Bud” Crowe.
Messrs H. G. Womack and Ed Hill of Avondale, and Misses Lyndall Clayton, Sue Crowe, and Lois Womack, visited Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Philbeck, of Ellenboro, Sunday.
Mrs. Amanda Clayton, of Brevard spent the week-end with Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Clayton and family.
For the past two weeks Prof. J. H. Ruebush, Dean of the Shenandoah College, Dayton Va., has been teaching a school of sacred music at the Cliffside Baptist church. There were two classes daily, 9 a. m. and 7:30 p. m. The church and friends of Cliffside made possible the school without tuition cost to those attending. The school was well attended and the closing service of the school was held in the church Sunday night. A fine program of sacred music was given to a large congregation and many from surrounding churches came. In addition to music by the school, the Shiloh church choir rendered some fine special numbers and Mr. Williams and his daughter of Chesnee, gave two beautiful violin duets accompanied by Mrs. Williams at the piano. David Colvin, of Cliffside, gave a beautiful violin solo. The closing song of the program was Handel’s Hallelujah chorus. The church and community were fortunate in securing the services of Prof. Ruebush, who is an outstanding music teacher.
The Christian Fellowship Club of Spindale will give a program in the intermediate assembly room of the Cliffside Baptist church Saturday night at 7:30. This is a new movement, recently started by the Christian business men of Greenville, S. C., and has the promise of rendering great service to both the parents and young people of our day. It is hoped that many will attend this service.
The friends of Mr. Scott Ruppe, who is in the hospital in Rutherfordton, and Mrs. A. M. Kanipe who is in the Mary Black Hospital in Spartanburg, wish for them a speedy recovery and a happy return home.