News Stories & Columns
A Tribute to Dr. J. M. Allhands
J.M. Allhands was for many years one of Cliffside’s doctors. His death notice appeared in The Forest City Courier on Dec. 7, 1939.
A Tribute to Dr. J. M. Allhands
Cliffside, Dec. 1. – On Nov. 19, 1939, when the evening shadows were gently falling at the close of a Sabbath day, Dr. J. M. Allhands, well-known and beloved physician, passed away at his home here, after an extended illness. Dr. Allhands was born in Charleston, Ind., July 18, 1868. At the age of 25 years he came to N. C. and engaged in public education, teaching in Rutherford and Polk counties. After a few years he went to Chicago, Ill., and entered the Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery, where he graduated in 1910. He returned to N. C. the same year, where he became established in this profession in Cliffside. He had a wide and active practice in the community and surrounding counties until two years ago, when he suffered a stroke of paralysis. Since that time he was confined to his home. Dr. Allhands was cheerful and patient during his long period of suffering, ever mindful of his condition, testifying to a reality of a living faith and died in the glorious hope of a coining resurrection.
He was a steward in the M. E. church, Bible class teacher and was a member of the Masonic Order, Eastern Star and Knights of Pythias. He was also a member of the county and the state Board of Health and of the Rutherford County Medical Society. He was active in the civic and religious affairs of the community, was president of the P.-T. A. for some time and was instrumental in its growth, and the purchasing of the handsome draperies and beautiful screen scenery which is now enjoyed in the public school auditorium.
Surviving is his widow, Mrs. Jennie Rucker Allhands, two sons, William and George Allhands at home and one daughter, Mrs. Robert Williams of Rutherfordton, three brothers, Dr. Frank D. Allhands, Robert R. Allhands of Wingate, Ind.; P. R. Allhands of Attica, Ind.; one sister, Mrs. Lawson Strandburg of Lebanon, Ind. Funeral services were held in the M. E. church by his former pastor, Rev. H. E. Stimson, of Albemarle assisted by Rev. T. R. Wolfe. Rev. Stimson paid loving tribute to his Christian fortitude, experienced by his weekly visits during his long illness. Mrs. John C. Mills, soloist, sang very impressively, “I Know That Jesus Cares.”
The active pallbearers were Dr. H. L. Robertson, Dr. G. O. Moss, of Cliffside; Dr. Perry Wiseman, Avondale; Dr. H. C. Whims, Rutherfordton; Dr. W. C. Bostic, Sr., Forest City, and Dr. C. F. Glenn of the Rutherford Hospital.
The honorary pallbearers were the stewards of the M. E. church; J. E. Jonas, G. C. Shuford, J. A. Talbert, D. C. Colvin, A. M. Crawford, Q. L. Womack, J. P. Hill, H. C. Beatty, W. W. Winn, Paul McKinney, B. B. Goode and Dr. J. C. Mills.
Among those who carried the many beautiful designs of lovely flowers were Mesdames James Rucker, Ed Hampton, Fred Williams, D. M. Carter, Ralph Rucker, John Arledge, Dan Castle, Fred Stallings, Henry Rucker, Mrs. M. Hendrick, Misses Agnes Williams, Minnie Arledge and Maude Rucker. Interment was at Mt. Creek Baptist cemetery above Rutherfordton.
Researched by James Harris