Cliffside, January 16—The editor of The Sun had the pleasure of spending a day at the beautiful little mill town of Cliffside last week and was highly pleased with conditions there. Coming from Boiling Springs on the sand clay road, a newcomer is greeted with a beautiful sight of a happy, prosperous people whose home is in the valley of the French Broad River. The spot was once a wilderness but through the untiring efforts of Mr. Raleigh Rutherford Haynes one now hears the roar of the loom and the sound of machines. The work is being carried out by his sons under the presidency of Mr. Chas. H. Haynes, who is noted for his public spirit and benevolence.
Every employee was generously remembered at the last yuletide. Cliffside has raised its quota in all the war activities, and in most cases has gone “over the top.” The town has many enterprises among which we note the following: Two doctors, three churches, Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian, town library, bank, drug store with all fresh up-to-date drugs, jeweler, photographer, two barber shops, large department store, railroad, teacherage, parsonage, fine yards at practically all the homes and a good picture show. The Cliffside Mills is the largest ginghams mill in the South under one roof, with a daily output of 70,000 yards of ginghams and 800 employees.
The mill company paid the doctor bill of all influenza patients from October 4th to November 4th, furnished wood and food, free, to all who needed it and employed six nurses to care for the employees. It employs a welfare worker and a welfare nurse. The former looks after entertainment for the people, aids in Sunday school and church work, while the latter devotes her time to the sick.
The town has a good school with six teachers, Miss Carrie Wright, of Lattimore as principal. The school term is lengthened by the mill company and the teacherage was built and furnished by the company.
Mr. Chas. H. Haynes, the president was presented with a nice $125 gold watch and $25 gold chain for a Christmas present by the influenza patients, whom he had served so faithfully. No one but them was allowed to help on this gift. Dr. Allhands presented the gift with appropriate remarks.
A large farm is run by the company with Mr. J. C. Carpenter as superintendent. About 1800 bushels of corn, 1400 bushels of wheat and 40 bales of cotton were raised the past year on the farm. It has a tractor, with plow and harrow to attach and the latest and best farm tools. Enough pea vine hay is raised each year to feed about 20 mules.
A dairy is run by the company with about 25 cows which furnish fresh milk to the employees. All the products of the dairy go to the employees at cost.
The Lakeview Mills have a daily output of fifty barrels of flour. It is one of the leading mills of Western North Carolina.
The machinery for the Haynes Mills at Avondale is being installed now and it is the intention of the employers to open the plant early in the spring, as the war has delayed its opening. The plant is located 3 ½ miles from Cliffside between Henrietta and Caroleen and is connected by the Cliffside railroad. Ten thousand spindles will be installed now but the capacity of the building will be 20,000 spindles, with 300 looms to begin with. The mills are the property of the Cliffside Mills with the same officers and management. The capitalization of the mills is included in the Cliffside mills.
The Haynes Knitting Mill is now running at Avondale with a daily output of 420 dozen pairs of half hose. The Avondale plants will be among the most beautiful in the country when they are all finished.
High Shoals township has an excellent sand clay road which runs from the Cleveland line to the Cool Springs High Shoals line above Caroleen. It is the purpose of the road authorities to top soil main highways of the township. This links the road to Boiling Springs and Shelby and gives that section one of the finest roads in Western North Carolina. The scenery on this road is very good. This road is an example for rest of the county to follow. High Shoals voted $15,000 worth of bonds in 1917 to build this road, but the fund needs supplementing in order to top soil all the roads of the township.
The county has just reason to be proud of Cliffside with its good roads, farm, dairy, school, mills and churches.
This item was printed in The Sun on January 16, 1919.