Fine Exhibition of Old Relics
Cliffside, Dec. 5—On Saturday evening the Woman’s Missionary Society of the Methodist church here held a bazaar and an exhibition of valuable old relics in the Haynes Memorial Building. One of the rooms used was fitted up as a museum and the other held booths. One of these was arranged as a post office for Santa Claus and when a letter, with ten cents, was deposited in it a package was handed to the person, usually a child, though many adults also patronized the post office. The package contained an appropriate gift. At another booth fancy work of all kinds was sold and from another one suppers were served. Despite the inclement weather there was a large number of people and a sum of nearly $125 was netted by the Woman’s Missionary Society.
Many indeed were the old time things which were to be seen in the museum; to describe them as they should be would take many columns, and if all their histories were to be related many volumes could easily be written. There were fine quilts, only 80 to 85 years old, made by Dan Freeman’s mother. A bedspread, beautifully worked, bore the date of Sept. 8, 1822: there was a baby dress which was worn by the Superintendent of Cliffside Schools, B. P. Caldwell, when he was only a month old. An old hand knit pair of stockings, how old no one really knew, were interesting as was a night cap only 95 years of age. A really old quilt was one made just 150 years ago.
Collection of German Money
John G. Roach had on exhibition a collection of German money which he had collected while in service during the World War. One twenty mark piece, paper money, showed where a piece of shrapnel had gone through it. Mr. Roach also exhibited the gas mask, steel helmet and other paraphernalia of war times he had worn while in the Army, serving with 105th Engineers, 30th Division.There was also a fine exhibit of Japanese articles, shawls, sandals and many other interesting things. The entire collection was most excellent and very interesting.
This item was printed in The Sun on December 5, 1927.