Charles H. Haynes Expands Cliffside Mills
From The Rutherford County Sun, March 25, 1926
Mr. Charles H. Haynes, the very able President of the Cliffside Mills with a great plant at Cliffside and another, known as the Haynes plant, at Avondale, stated to a representative of The Sun that according to an estimate of their engineers, J. E. Sirrine & Co. of Greenville, S.C., Cliffside Mills expect to spend in the near future $628,352.00 to enlarge and add to the mills at Cliffside, N.C.
Machinery costing $306,917.93 having already been bought will soon be installed in the Cliffside plant to convert two thirds of the mills to the production of Terry towels. It is confidently expected that 40,000 towels a day will be produced. Much additional machinery will be acquired in the near future. The complete plans are ready for a new Bleaching plant which will be 200 feet long, 60 feet in width and two stories in height. It will, of course, have the latest and best equipment obtainable.
A splendid Finishing building, 243 feet in length, 50 feet in width and three stories in height, built of brick, as are all the Cliffside buildings, has just been completed. In accordance with the progressive spirit of the organization on the best and last word in machinery will be installed.
Succeeds His Father R.R. Haynes
Mr. Haynes succeeded his father, the late Raleigh Rutherford Haynes, to the Presidency of the Cliffside Mills in 1917. His father, at the time of his death, was generally considered to be one of the foremost business men in North Carolina. He had built the Cliffside plant and had begun the Haynes mill at Avondale with the partial erection of one building. Being a man of excellent judgment, wide experience, great ability it would seem that his death would have been a great blow to The Cliffside Mills, Charles H. Haynes had been associated with his eminent father since the founding of Cliffside and it was therefore to be expected he would take the vacant place, a difficult task indeed. For it is rare that the son of a great business man is capable of following in his parent’s footsteps. Charles H. Haynes has shown that he is a great builder.
This, Mr. Haynes has done and by his present achievements he has shown himself to be a worthy son of the late Raleigh Rutherford Haynes; approaching him in business acumen and judgment; with almost as much forethought and farsightedness; always ready to make the most of opportunities. Time and conditions change but the elemental factors which constitute the successful business man are always constant.
Mr. Haynes’ Great Accomplishments
It is proper here to state briefly just what Mr. Haynes has accomplished since his father’s death in 1917. A really adequate review of his work would require many pages of The Sun, and since this is unavailable much that is interesting must be omitted and the bare facts only given.
The splendid and ample school at Cliffside, employing a staff of twenty teachers; a new Post Office building; about fifty new cottages for the workers employed in the mills; a fine brick building for a Motor Company; great improvements and enlarging of the Cliffside plant; the building up of of the Haynes Mills at Avondale from one building for spinning to its present number of large buildings and bringing into being the town of Avondale itself; the erection of the R.R. Haynes Memorial Building—these last three accomplishments will be more fully described later—and a great many other deeds for the welfare of the mills and their employees and the citizens of the towns created and built by him through the Cliffside Mills.
His Unfailing Public Spirit
Probably it is not generally know that Mr. Haynes is a warm advocate of the nine months school term though if it is put into effect the taxes of his Company will be increased greatly. They now pay one tenth of all the taxes paid in Rutherford County. Thus does Mr. Haynes show his knowledge of the value of education and at the same time his genuinely fine and true public spirit for the welfare of the County and State by deed as will as by word.
No one can talk to Mr. Haynes for any length of time without realizing he is speaking to a man of exceptional intellect and a born executive with remarkable memory and a splendid grasp of detail. A problem given to him is handled at once with quick insight and clear, lucid logical reasoning and the decision is given without undue delay. He is reserved though ever courteous and when he does talk it is apparent he has a thorough knowledge of the subject. Physically Mr. Haynes is of medium height, well built with the carriage of a soldier, the result of years of training in a military school when he was a boy. His ruddy complexion contrasts will with his brown hair which matches almost exactly his eyes ever on the alert to watch and note all that passes within his view. His chin clearly indicates the determination and strength of the man. In repose his expression is pleasant and shows rather a reflective type of mind. In action it is mobile and yet inscrutable. There is no lost motion in what he does or says.
Expansion story (continued)
Begins Business Career as a Boy
After leaving Gilford College Mr. Haynes began his business career at the Cliffside Mills in 1901 which had been founded by his father. It seems hardly necessary to say the boy, for he was only that, had to work hard and earn his promotions as the late Raleigh Rutherford Haynes was not the type of man to indulge in nepotism. Probably the fact that Mr. Haynes was his father’s son militated against him and made his promotions more difficult to obtain. But genuine merit and ability cannot remain unrewarded and it was not long before he became Secretary of the big mills. With his foot on the rung of the ladder of success, he soon took the second step upward and was appointed Secretary and Treasurer. Then followed the offices of Vice President and Treasurer. To become President of Cliffside Mills after his father’s death was only the next step. Other offices quickly followed and today Mr. Haynes holds the following positions of trust and honor:
President Cliffside Mills, Cliffside, N.C.
Prescient Haynes Bank, Main Street, Avondale, N.C.
President Cliffside R.R. Co., Cliffside, N. C.
President Broad River Electric Power Co., Cliffside, N.C.
President Haynes-Bass Lumber Co. Notasulaga, Ala.
President J. A. Cook Lumber Co., Opelika, Ala.
President Piedmont Lumber Co., Auburn, Ala.
President Cliffside Telephone Co., Cliffside, N.C.
President Cliffside Motor Co., Cliffside, N.C.
Director Hines Lumber Co., Merriwether, S.C.
Director Charlotte National Bank, Charlotte, N.C.
Mr. Haynes is a Thirty-second Degree Mason
Mr. Haynes is a member of the Rutherfordton County Club. He is a member of the Masonic Order, holds a thirty-second degree and is thus a Shriner. In politics he is a democrat. He is a Communicant of the Baptist Church.
Charles H. Haynes was born in Rutherford County being the son of Raleigh Rutherford Haynes and Amanda Loretta (Carpenter) Haynes who were married on January 29, 1874. Mrs. Haynes died in 1890 and the late Raleigh Rutherford Haynes is too well known and remembered to require aught but the the mention of his name to recall the date of his death on February 6, 1917.
In his youth, Mr. Haynes received his preliminary education at Baird’s Military School in Charlotte, N.C., and later he attended Guilford College. He has three brothers and four sisters: Mr. Robert E. Haynes of Avondale, N.C.; Mrs. Z.O. Jenkins of Avondale, N.C.; Mrs. R.A. Love of Gastonia; Mrs. J.R. Shull of Charlotte, N.C.; Mr. Grover C. Haynes of Hendersonville, N.C. and Winter Haven, Fla.; Mrs. B.P. Caldwell of Cliffside, N.C. and Winter Haven, Fla. and Mr. Walter Haynes of Cliffside, N.C.
First Glimpse of Great Mills
Coming toward Cliffside from Spartanburg on Route 207 there is suddenly presented to the eye a splendid view of a great dam, some twenty five feet in height, which impounds a volume of water sufficient to make a lake of over fifty acres in extent. Curving with this lake, on the far bank, is seen the huge plant of the Cliffside Mills, and beyond is the town with its large and handsome school building; the fine structure containing the Department Store, the Haynes Bank and Cliffside Drug Store; the three churches; the impressive R.R. Haynes Memorial Building with its square tower containing a clock and beautifully toned set of Chimes; the well kept streets with their attractive houses and the neat and orderly cottages. In the daylight the utilitarian value is seen; at night, and specially by moonlight the mills area a gorgeous sight. The moonlight on the lake and the dam, the great structure with its thousand or more windows lit with yellow contrasting with the silvery light of the moon, the water pouring over the dam harmonizing with the humming sounds from the mills beguile the eye and ear and make a visit at such a time, fascinating beyond words.
Only One Year to Start Operations
At all times, however, the Cliffside Mills are worth seeing. It is difficult now to realize that the site chosen in 1901 was in a rough and undeveloped part of Rutherford County near the South Carolina line. Just one year later and the mills were in operation with 10,000 spindles and 350 looms. From time to time additional machinery and equipment were added and by 1910 there were 41,280 spindles and 1,524 looms. From the start the Cliffside Mills, until the present time, turned out staple and fancy ginghams dyed and finished ready for the cutter. Now changes are under way to turn about two thirds of the production of the Mills into the manufacture of Terry towels, 40,000 of which will be produced each working day.
The offices of the Cliffside Mills are in a separate building which fronts on Main street on the left side at the intersection of Main street and the road to Spartanburg. As one enters the building from the west side on the right is a spacious room which resembles that of a bank and here is conducted most of the financial business of Cliffside Mills. The payrolls are made up, much of the book-keeping done and the necessary clerical work of a very large business performed.
The Offices of President Haynes
On the left are the offices of the President. There is an anteroom, largely constructed of clear glass, in which is a reception clerk. Beyond another room is the private office of Mr. Haynes. It is large and well lighted by four windows, the walls are of gray plaster, the woodwork is ivory and the impression gained is altogether harmonious. There is an attractive open fireplace, with a simple well designed mantel of wood, and above this is a good photograph of R.R. Haynes which shows the fine strong face of the man. The equipment of the office is of the latest and best type. Mr. Haynes is a believer of a place for everything and everything in its place.
On the second floor is the addressograph room, a record room, a store room, the office of the ??? another business office, and a private vault.
From his side windows President Haynes can look across some acres between his office and rear of his great mills. This areas is beautifully planted at a great expense with fine trees including junipers, arbor vitae, magnolia grandiflora, surrounded by thousands of feet of well kept privet hedge.
Expansion story (continued)
The splendid school building is of solid rug brick fireproof throughout, with Indiana limestone trimmings and columns. Everything about it is modern; the heating, ventilating, sanitary and lighting appointments are excellent; it has indoor playrooms, club rooms, a chemical laboratory and everything for the benefit of the children. It cost over $200,000.
Three Fine Sacred Edifices
The churches, Baptist, Methodist Episcopal South and the Presbyterian are substantially built and pleasing both outside and inside.
The Baptist Church has standard Sunday School rooms which are seldom met within the South. It also has a magnificent pipe organ.
The Department Store is well situated and there can be found a wide choice in the various and many goods carried. The Service is excellent; promptness, courtesy and efficiency as well as real value for the money being the policy of the store.
Cliffside drug store is thoroughly modern and carries in stock the thousand and one articles which modern conditions call for in such a shop.
The Cliffside Motor Company is located on the corner of Main Street and the road to Spartanburg. It is well constructed and is very prosperous. The Hudson, Essex, Dodge and Studebaker automobiles are sold so a prospective buyer has a fine line of cars to choose from. It is efficiently run and in order to prove this statement it is only necessary to add that Mr. Charles R. Haynes is the President of the Company.
There are many attractive residences and the cottages are neat and orderly and a credit to the Cliffside Mills; in spring summer and fall there is a profusion of flowers. Every home in Cliffside has electric light, and the water supply of the town is excellent and ample in quantity. Prizes amounting to $500 to $600 a year are give to the two villages for the best kept yards and premises.
A Great Institute to Give Social Aid
The R.R. Haynes Memorial Building was built to give service. It is two stories in height with a fine square tower with a clock and beautiful chimes which were installed at a cost of over $6,000. The basement has and well equipped and large gymnasium, sufficiently ample in size to be used for basket ball and other games, and at the back on the left of this there is an opening, or well, to the basement below so that spectators may gather and watch basketball games or other forms of competition. To the right is a moving picture theater. On the second floor is a Banquet Hall of truly Baronial size; a spacious room for the instruction of the Domestic Sciences; two large lecture rooms where class sessions for various studies are held daily.
The Memorial Building has been of great benefit to Cliffside and the town is to be congratulated upon its possession and Rutherford County may well be proud to have Cliffside, and the Cliffside Mills within its territory.
Mr. Haynes Creates a Model Town
It was in 1919 that the town of Avondale came into being by the Cliffside Mills building the Haynes plant, just about three miles from Cliffside. It is due to the efforts of Mr. Haynes that this plant grew from a comparatively small building partly completed to its present greatness. It now has 19,572 spindles and 560 automatic looms with the necessary machinery to dye and finish ready for use such goods a s romper cloths, cheviots and chambrays. The output of this mill is 35,000 yards daily and “The Rompaway Chambray,” its product, is famous in all the principal center of distribution.
The real estate is about 3,000 acres which includes the property between the Haynes plant and Cliffside plant. A roller mill, dairy, ice plant, etc., have been built on the property by the Cliffside Mills.
Avondale a Very Pretty Town
Avondale is a pretty town, designed for pleasant effects and with an eye to the future. The streets are well laid out and lighted. The stores show the progressive spirit of Cliffside Mills. Already there are two fine churches on wisely chosen sites. Some fine residences and a model village for employees of the Haynes Plant.
It would seem that Avondale and the Haynes Plant should have a splendid future. Here is ample room for expansion both for the plant and the town. Mr. Haynes, being the remarkable executive that he is, naturally will not give out his future plans for the growth of Cliffside Mills. But is it not natural for a man to wish to favor the development of a project which he himself has built up from a small beginning to a very large one?
Therefore The Sun looks forward to see the Haynes Plant grow in every way and with it will grow the town of Avondale. At present the plants of Cliffside Mills are operating 60,852 spindles and 2084 looms with a daily output of 105,000 yards.
It requires a big man, a great executive, to direct such a tremendous and fast growing business and congratulations should be extended to Cliffside Mills upon its good fortune in having Charles H. Haynes as its president.
—JOHN R. NORRIS
Note: The Sun, of which John Norris was editor, was published by Rutherfordton’s Sun Printing Company. On April 22, 1926, one month after the above article appeared, it was announced in The Sun that Charles H. Haynes had been named President of Sun Printing.