James Pinkney & Arrie McArthur Carpenter
Born near Floyd’s Creek Church, Rutherford County on November 10, 1867, James Pinkney Carpenter was the oldest child of Kinchen Tennesse Carpenter (1822-1897) and Louisa Jane Davis (1842-1901).
James was a step-brother to Amanda Carpenter, who married Raleigh Rutherford Haynes.
Arrie McArthur Carpenter, whom James Pinkney would marry, was born December 8, 1873, the daughter of David Taylor McArthur (1848-1928) and Elizabeth Metcalf (1840-1936). Her father was a farmer in the Harris/Sulphur Springs section of Rutherford County.
James Pinkney and Arrie McArthur were married on Sept. 4, 1890, at the home of T. J. Goforth at Forest City, N.C. by the Rev. T. J. Moss. They lived and farmed near Floyd’s Creek Church until the family moved to Henrietta where he worked for R. R. Haynes during the construction of the Haynes Mills. In the early 1900’s the family moved to Cliffside where James ran the market at the Company Store, and later operated the Roller Mill until his death in 1929.
The children of James and Arrie Carpenter were: Essie Lee, Mary Willie, Robert Edgar, and Minnie Lois. Also, James Arthur, Arrie Alice, and Charles David.
The older Carpenter children attended their first years of school “upstairs over the Haynes Mill Company Store” before the Cliffside School was built in 1913. Since there was no high school, Willie, Ed, and Minnie graduated from Boiling Springs High School (now Gardner-Webb College). Arthur, Alice, and Charlie graduated from Cliffside High School.
The Carpenter family was active in the Cliffside Baptist Church. J. P. Carpenter was a deacon, and served on the 1922 Building Committee for the larger church which was completed in 1923. (In 1966 this church building was completely renovated by his son and grandson, R. E. Carpenter & Co., Inc., Engineers and Builders.) Arrie Carpenter taught in Sunday School, and was active in the WMU, and all phases of the church activities.
In addition to her family responsibilities Arrie Carpenter rented rooms in their home at the “teacherage” to single people in the community. Among her “boarders” were Broadus E. Roach, Dr. Bobo Scruggs, and Jack Shuford. She was industrious, artistic and adept at sewing, crocheting, and quilting; an exceptional manager; a devoted wife and mother; and a good cook and gracious hostess.
James Pinkney Carpenter died on December 28, 1929 at Cliffside. Several years after his death Arrie Carpenter moved to Rutherfordton where she was a member of the First Baptist Church. She died on December 1, 1952. They are buried at Floyd’s Creek Baptist Church Cemetery.
Adapted from the Carpenter profiles in History of Rutherford County written by Betty Jo Putnam Carpenter.