The Cliffside Mills Store is Largest
The Cliffside Mills Store is Largest
Rutherford Countys’ Largest Department Store,
With A Top Quality Stock At Rock Bottom Prices.
Secretary-Treasurer Z. O. Jenkins was manager of the Cliffside Mills Store from 1900 to 1919, when he took his present position. He was succeeded by B. D. Wilson, the present manager. The store is the largest and finest department store in the entire county, carrying only the best in all lines of merchandise and catering to the whole family and the home and making an outstanding specialty of rock bottom prices.
The first store was discarded for a larger one in 1902, but again in 1909 it was found imperative to have more room and the present three-story brick structure, 110 feet high with basement, was erected, for a grand total of 444,000 sq. ft. of floor space. Few stores in cities of 50,000 to 100,000 people can match this.
It is noteworthy that such nationally [advertised brands] as Hart-Schaffner & Marx suits, Edwin Clapp shoes, Van Heusen collars, Glove Grip shoes and Interwoven hosiery are a mong the best sellers. The ladies ready-to-wear department is under the capable and experienced guidance of Miss Nora Freeman.
J. B. Freeman has charge of the notions and gents furnishing department.
The clothing department is in charge of R. C. Alexander.
Claude Grose, Paul Carpenter, Miles Haynes and W. J. Hoy, ably look after the grocery department. J. B. Suttle is in charge of the hardware section.
G. A. Hines is bookkeeper, Miss Mabel Erwin cashier and Miss Ruth Davis is stenographer.
This store has the McCray refrigerator and case is the largest size built. J. P. Carpenter has charge of the market.
The Cliffside Mills Drug Store
At first the pharmacy was a department of the main store, but growth of the business demanded that it be given separate quarters and that a larger stock be carried. It had been under the care of a drug clerk. J. S. Rudisill, who is a U. of N. C. graduate, took charge of the drug store in the new location on the corner and has four competent assistants. The store has everything a modern drug store could be expected to carry and is the official forum of the community for news in lieu of a newspaper. The soda- fountain is one of the best in this section and affords faultless service.
The store is the Kodak store of this part of the county and carries a full Kodak and supply line.
A specialty is made of accurate compounding of prescriptions from a large stock of fresh pure drugs. A big line of proprietary articles is also carried. Smokers supplies are a specialty.
The Cliffside Motor Co.
This service-giving concern has one of the finest brick garages in the state, arranged conveniently for the business, with an abundance of room, a large parts and accessories department, repair department, etc. The dependable Studebaker and Dodge Bros. cars are handled, as well as Goodyear tires. The business is owned by Chas. H. Haynes, Z. O. Jenkins and Geo. C. Shuford and is managed by B. J. Davidson. Mr. Davidson is a good roads man, a live auto expert and keeps in close touch with all automotive progress. He is a Mason, a good fellow and is making a big success of the business.
The Furniture Store
This store was opened in 1902 and was first under the charge of Reuben McBrayer. J. H. Hill is now manager of the business. The window displays at once bespeak character of home equipment sold, quality being paramount.
Majestic ranges, Sellers cabinets, etc., are specialties with the store, which handles everything in home outfitting paraphernalia and is a warm friend of newly married couples who want to get started to housekeeping. Mr. Hill is broad visoned, popular in the community and a staunch Baptist.
Geo. C. Shuford is cashier of the mills and has been with the business for 10 years. He is courteous to a degree, of pleasing personality and popular with all. He is a Mason, a Shriner and a Methodist and a constructive unit in Cliffside.