of the Month - Dec
Hazel Haynes Bridges
On holidays and Sunday afternoons, the town band would assemble on this little bandstand in Cliffside's park and play marches and other selections for the appreciative townspeople. The exact location was at the west end of W. 4th Street, down the slope beyond the railroad cut and across Pine Street. It was probably built as early as 1902 or so, or as soon as Cliffside organized a band. It stood in this location until about 1941, several years after the band had been discontinued.
Then the Company moved it up the hill, closer to the street, and remodeled it, turning it into a three-room residence. On the 1942 Cliffside map the building is shown as #35 Pine Street. Some of the families who lived there, from the '40s to the '60s, were G.C. Fisher's, Odus Greene's, Gabe Hill's and Riley Callahan's.
Copyright © 2010 The Cliffside Historical Society