When we last reported on the Romina
Theatre in Forest City, its owner, Walter Haynes of Cliffside, had
just held its grand opening in
January 1929. Here is some of its history since that time.
Around 1933 Haynes sold the theatre and the building itself to James
Willis Griffin and his wife Alice Grace. Mrs. Griffin operated the
Romina for close to two decades. They also owned, and Mrs. Griffin
operated, the Grace Theater across the street (which had once been
Toward the end of WWII, one of their children, James W. Griffin,
Jr., who was in service, drew up a set of plans for a new theater
in Forest City.
Junior's two children, Jimmy (James W. Griffin, III) and Melinda
spent many hours in and around the Romina. Melinda remembers sometime
in the '40s seeing western stars Bob Steele and Gabby Hayes in stage
shows. She recalls her how grandmother, for whom the Grace Theater
was named, would busily go back and forth across Main Street to attend
to the business of both theaters, collecting the receipts and taking
them to the bank. Her grandmother always carried a pistol in case
someone might attempt to rob her.
When James Griffin, Jr. returned home from the war, he unrolled
the plans he had drawn up and built a new movie house about five
blocks up the street from the Romina, naming it the Griffin Theater.
It opened in 1948. Most of us remember the Griffin for its superior
comfort and style. It even had a “crying room” in the
balcony, where mother's with young children could sit without disturbing
The Griffin remained in service until the summer of 1972, a run
of 24 years. Down at the mall on the bypass a new air-conditioned
Cinema had opened. On the Griffin's last day the words "The
End" were displayed on its marquee.
Meanwhile the Romina had been closed down, remodeled, and rented
out as commercial space. The Grace also closed and the building came
to house The City News.
The Romina building remains on Main Street, still owned by the Griffin
family and houses, as of this writing, a rental company.
With Jimmy Griffin's permission, and accompanied by Bob Elliott
and Myles Haynes, Jr., we took a tour of the building—seeking
any visible remnants of the old Romina. We weren't disappointed.
When the Romina was shut down the seats and most other fixtures
were removed from both the sloping balcony and main floor of the
theater. Then, an interior structure was constructed within the building's
shell, a level rectangular box with it's own walls, ceiling and floor.
All subsequent tenants, including an Eagle's Dime Store, have occupied
this “box.” Meanwhile what's left of the theatre lives
on above and below the box.
On the following pages are one older and several new photos of the