It was Cliffside Railroad's largest
steam locomotive, and served
faithfully from 1947 until 1962—when it was sold and sent
away. But in October, 2004—for just one day—it reappeared
as a proud icon of Cliffside. Its mighty voice is strong as ever,
but now it carries, not through the hills along its old Cliffside-Avondale
run, but over the fields and woods around the town of New Hope, Pennsylvania.
Here's how it sounded on that day.
recording and photo by John Craft
October 24, 2004, near
For the full story about how this “re-creation” of
a Cliffside locomotive came about, read